Cook time: 2 hours sous vide
Ingredients for Bread Pudding:
1 French Baguette Cut Into 1 inch cubes (about 3 cups)
½ cup Heavy Cream
1 cup Whole Milk
1 Large Egg
2 Large Egg Yolks
½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Bean Paste
1 Tablespoon Dark Rum
Pinch of Cinnamon
Ingredients for Cherry Rum Sauce:
1 can Dark Sweet Cherries (15oz)
½ oz Dark Rum
1 cup Brown Sugar
3 Tablespoons Butter
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Set Nomiku water bath to 77ºC (170.6ºF).
- Put the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast in an oven for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole egg, egg yolks, rum, sugar, and vanilla paste.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine the whole milk, heavy cream, and cinnamon and heat until a little steam begins to escape the surface.
- Whisk the egg mixture constantly as you slowly dribble in some of the hot spiced cream to temper the eggs. Continue to whisk as you add the remainder of the cream.
- Mix in the bread cubes and let the mixture sit for 1-2 minutes, until the bread has absorbed the liquid.
- Grease 5 (16 oz.) mason jars with cooking spray or butter.
- Divide the bread pudding mixture evenly among the mason jars. Screw on the lids and place in water bath.
- Sous vide for 2 hours.
- While the bread pudding is in the water bath, pour the dark cherries, rum, brown sugar, butter, and vanilla extract into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the cherries come to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer, uncovered until the mixture is reduced by half. Removecherry sauce from heat.
- Carefully remove bread pudding from water bath, remove lids, pour cherry sauce on top, and serve immediately while warm.