Savor the last rays of summer with silky smooth cheesecake ice cream and celebrate the beginning of fall with some crunchy caramel.
Cooktime: 2 hours sous vide, overnight in freezer
Special tools: culinary blowtorch, ramekins
- 1 ½ cup Shortbread or Graham Crackers - crushed
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter - melted
- 2 Tablespoon Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 8 oz (1 package) Cream Cheese - room temperature
- ¼ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Zest of 1 Lemon
Brûlée Topping Ingredients:
- 4 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
Steps for the Crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 4 ramekins (6oz size recommended).
- In a food processor, pulse shortbread until finely ground. Add the softened butter and pulse until fully incorporated and crumbs are moist. Press the shortbread mixture into the bottom of the ramekins and bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.
Steps for the cheesecake:
- Set your Nomiku water bath to 77°C (171°F).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the cream cheese and heavy cream until smooth. Add the sugar, eggs, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and salt, and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into a quart sized zip bag, remove air using the water displacement method, and seal. Sous vide for 2 hours.
Remove cheesecake mixture from the water bath and drop into a bowl of ice water. The ice should help firm up the mixture some more. Cut off a corner and squeeze mixture into ramekins ¾th full. Place cheesecake ice cream in freezer overnight.
- Before serving, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar per cheesecake ice cream and torch the tops with a culinary torch until sugar melts and turns a deep amber color. Serve immediately.