Cook time: 1 hour
Yields 4 burgers
Ingredients for Burger:
- 4 Sesame seed buns - toasted right before assembly
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 lb Ground Beef - grass-fed chuck (20% fat)
- 1 Tbsp Lard
- 1 Medium Heirloom Tomato- sliced
- 2 Cups Hollandaise
- 1 cup Stilton / or Bay Blue cheese - shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ stick of butter, melted
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
Steps for Hollandaise:
- Vigorously whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a bowl until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume. Place the bowl over a saucepan containing barely simmering water— the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl. Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble.
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready to use for the burger, do not keep for over 1 hour outside of fridge.
Steps for Burger:
- Set Nomiku water bath to 55ºC (131ºF).
- Mix ground beef thoroughly with lard.
- Begin forming the meat into four loose patties, press into the middle and shape a little bowl and pour as much hollandaise as possible inside while being able to seal it with meat and have it contained.
- Seal patties in bag - 1 patty per quart-sized zip bag. Use the water displacement method to seal and cook for 1 hour.
- Take out of water bath after an hour, remove from bag and season both sides of the patties generously with salt. Melt lard or oil on a cast iron skillet on high. Once hot, sear both sides of the patty to create a nice crust (about 40 seconds, take care as patties have delicate filling, do not press down on patty. Crack fresh pepper and a sprinkle of salt on top and assemble.
Spread some mayonnaise on a toasted sesame seed bun, add shredded cheese, and sous vide beef patty. Enjoy!