Summer is not here without an ice-cold glass of Pastis after a meal. Also maybe a glass of Pastis before a meal…
Imagine winding down the day and watching the brilliant sun dance down at dusk with a glass of this unique aperitif. While this is not the traditional Pastis, it’ll transport you to Provence with it’s deep anise flavor.
Cooktime: 2 hours sous vide, 1 hour straining
Yields: 1 liter of Fennel Liquor
Fennel Liquor “Pastis” ingredients:
- 200g Fennel stalks
- 30g Caraway seeds
- 5g Whole white pepper kernals
- 2g Coriander seeds
- 1L Vodka
- Set up Nomiku and set temperature to 50ºC (122ºF).
- Add fennel stalks, caraway seeds, white pepper, coriander, and vodka into a blender. Blend for 2 minutes non-stop on high.
- Move to bag, remove air, and sous vide at 50ºC (122ºF).for 2 hours, rinse a coffee filter out with hot water (to remove paper taste), and strain through filter. Allow to strain for 1 hour.
- Pour “pastis” back in clean bottle and store in freezer.
“Le Mistral Cocktail” ingredients:
- 100ml Fennel liqueur
- 50ml Simple syrup
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- ½ cup Ice
- Fennel bulb garnish
- In an Old-Fashioned glass, stir the brilliant green fennel liqueur in with the rest of the ingredients for 10 seconds to mix and chill. Serve with a slice of fresh fennel bulb.