Cook time: 1 hour egg sous vide, 1 hour beef sous vide
Yields 4 burgers
Ingredients for Burger:
- 4 Sesame seed buns - toasted right before assembly
- 2 Tbsp Thousand Island Dressing
- 2 lb Ground Beef - grass-fed chuck (20% fat)
- 1 Tbsp Lard
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese - shredded
- 4 Sous vide egg yolks - sous vide at 64ºC for 1hr
- 2 Cups Cabbage - shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Quick Pickled Jalapeños & Onions:
- 2 Jalapeños
- 1 Red onion
- 2 Garlic cloves - smashed
- ½ Cup Apple cider vinegar
- ½ Cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Honey or sugar
Steps for Pickled Jalapeños & Onions
- Slice jalapeños and red onions, add to bowl and cover with salt.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add apple cider vinegar, water, and honey to the bowl.
- Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Steps for Burger:
- Set Nomiku water bath to 55ºC (131ºF).
- Mix ground beef thoroughly with lard.
- Crack open a sous vide egg, gently remove the whites and save the yolk.
- Begin forming the meat into four loose patties, press into the middle and shape a little bowl for the sous vide egg yolk and a pinch of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Seal patties in bag - 1 patty per quart-sized zip bag. Use the water displacement method to seal and cook for 1 hour.
Take out of water bath after an hour, remove from bag and season both sides of the patties generously with salt. Melt lard or oil on a cast iron skillet on high. Once hot, sear both sides of the patty to create a nice crust (about 40 seconds), take care as patties have delicate filling, do not press down on patty. Crack fresh pepper and a sprinkle of salt on top and assemble.
Spread some thousand Island on a toasted sesame seed bun, add shredded cabbage, quick pickled jalapeños and red onions, and the sous vide beef patty. Enjoy.