The boutique cut “bavette “steak is having a moment. Food lovers are discovering this once easily dismissed and unloved cheap cut to be absolute heaven when cooked properly. Of course, the simplest way to bring out the best out of this cut is with your Nomiku!
Sous Vide Bavette Steak with Brown Butter and Fingerling Potatoes
Cook time: 1 hour and 45 minutes sous vide, 1 minute to sear
- 2 lbs Flank Steak (about four 8-ounce pieces at most one inch thick)
- 3 tbsp butter, browned in pan
- 1 lbs fingerling potatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of shallots
- Optional: parsley or chive flowers for garnish
- Step one, set up Nomiku in pot or heat-proof vessel of your choice and turn to 85°C (185 °F).
- Wash fingerling potatoes and vacuum seal in bag with olive oil, salt (to taste). Cook at 85°C (185 °F) water bath for 1 hour.
- Put 2 tbsp butter in light-colored pan on medium heat. As butter melt, stir constantly. About 30 seconds butter should start to bubble and foam. Keep stirring as the butter starts to turn brown, just when the butter is a shade lighter than you’d like it, take it out of the pan and pour into a heatproof bowl. Set aside.
- Lay steak on a cutting board and season with salt and pepper to taste. Vacuum seal in bag with brown butter.
- Remove potatoes from water bath, take out of the bag and halve, and set aside. Set Nomiku to 57°C (134°F), remove hot water with a mug and add cool water to bring temperature down if necessary. Cook steak at 57°C (134°F) for 1 hour.
- Peel shallots and thinly slice, cook down the same light-colored pan with 1 tbsp of butter. Shallots should become soft and a little brown, about 5 minutes.
- In heavier pan (i.e. cast iron) on high heat sear steaks on both sides until crust forms, around 30 seconds to a minute per side.
- Using the same pan, sauté fingerling potatoes for until warm and little browned.
- Cut steaks into servable strips, plate with fingerling potatoes. Add shallots, parsley or chive flowers as garnish on top of steak if desired.