Quickie Sous Vide Corned Beef
Cook time: 10 hours sous vide
A traditional corned beef recipe usually requires at least two weeks of brining in advance. This recipe takes a few shortcuts and results in a corn-beefed flavored brisket that is very well cooked instead of a corn beef proper. Cabbage, potatoes, and carrots sous vide make excellent side dishes.
- 1/2 quarts warm water
- 2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon pink curing salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoons prepared pickling spice
- 1 (5-pound) beef brisket, with the deckle intact
- 3 large fresh bay leaves, torn into small pieces
- 9 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard seed
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1. Set up Nomiku in a large heatproof vessel and turn temperature to 82°C (180°F).
2. Mix all ingredients of brine in a bowl until fully dissolved.
3. Rub ground spices and garlic into the brisket, put in bag and vacuum seal with brine.
4. Cook for 10 hours only.
5. Remove from brine and serve immediately. Or put in ice bath until cold and store in fridge for future use. Meat slices better when cold.
6. Season with more salt to taste.