Sous Vide Chocolate Pots de Crème
Cook time: 2.5 hours sous vide, 3 hours chilling in fridge
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup whole milk
5 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1. Set up Nomiku to 80°C. Use a rack to hold up ramekins or heat safe mini-containers of your choice. In the video we use decorative glasses 5” tall with stems that can go right into the water.
2. Bring cream and milk just to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat and add sugar. Remove from heat.
3. Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth. Whisk yolks in one at a time. Strain mixture into an easy to pour vessel.
4. Divide custard mixture among six 3/4-cup heat safe mini-containers. Put containers into the water one at time. Scoop out excess water as needed. Make sure water comes as high as the chocolate mixture. Do not cover. Allow to sit for 2.5 hours.
5. Remove from water (note: very hot!) and cool. Put into fridge to set for 3 hours. Serve with whipped cream if desired.