Fukumomo Superbowl Wangz
(A riff of Momofuku’s famous recipe)
Cooking time: sous vide 2 hrs 15 minutes, searing 3 minutes or grilling 3 minutes or broiling 6 minutes.
3 pounds chicken wings
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
¼ teaspoon chili flakes
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup mirin
¼ cup tamari
¼ teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil (if searing in a pan)
freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, put chicken wings with garlic, ginger, chili flakes, apple cider vinegar, mirin, tamari, and sesame oil. Mix together so that sauce sticks to wings. Vacuum seal wings with marinade and let sit in fridge from 4 hours to overnight.
2. Set Nomiku to 64°C (147°F). Once water gets to temp, place bags with wings in the water bath for 2 hours and 15 minutes.
3. Remove wings from bag, reserving liquid, and place wings on paper towels to dry.
4. Pour reserved liquid into saucepan and add sugar and black pepper to taste. Reduce on medium heat until thickened, approx. 6-8 minutes.
5a. For searing in a pan, add oil and set burner to high, then sear the wings for 3 minutes on the fatty side.
5b. For grilling, set grill to high and grill wings fatty side down for 3 minutes.
5c. To broil, set broiler to high and broil for 6 minutes with fatty side up.
6. Remove wings from heat and toss in reduction—- serve with lots of napkins!