Thanksgiving Turkey with Candied Cranberries
Cooking time: 5 hours sous vide, 8 minutes searing
2 turkey breasts, skin on (from 17lb Turkey)
2 turkey legs, skin on (from 17lb Turkey)
1 cup turkey brine (see below)
1 pot of boiling water (for cooking skin)
½ cup turkey gravy/jus
3 Tbsp canola oil for frying
Sous Vide Candied Cranberry
1 cup fresh cranberries
4 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
¼ cup water
Turkey Brine (2% salt brine with any herb and spice you like)
3 cups warm water
¼ cup poultry spice
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
2 sprigs of rosemary
2 tsp salt
1. Bag cranberries, water, sugar, salt, and vacuum seal. Cook at 80ºC/176ºF for 1 hour. Remove from waterbath and let cool.
2. Set Nomiku water bath to 66ºC/151ºF
3. Remove skin from turkey breast and cook the whole piece of skin for 20 mins in boiling water. Remove from water and pat dry, set aside for frying later.
4. Bag the turkey legs separately from breasts. Fill each bag with a sprig of rosemary, garlic, and 1/4 cup brine. Cook at 66ºC/151ºF for 2 hours.
5. Lower temp to 65ºC/149ºF and remove some water to accommodate the next bag. Drop in the breasts to cook for another 2 hour at 65ºC/149ºF to finish cooking both at the 4 hour mark.
6. Remove turkey from bag, discard salty cooking liquid and pat dry.
7. Heat canola oil in a pan on the highest heat setting and sear the boiled breast skin until crispy, salt and trim as desired. Set aside for plating.
8. Sear the legs and breasts until nicely browned on the outside in remaining oil, about 2 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
9. Cut and portion 1 piece of dark meat and 1 piece of white meat per plate. Garnish with candied cranberries, gravy, and crisped skin. Serve immediately.
Get the PDF version here and see the video here!