Cooking time: 3 hours. 30 minutes to bake pie crust, 1 and a half hour sous vide, 1 hour baking.
1 1/2 cup pumpkin flesh
3 egg yolk
2 cups heavy cream (1 cup for whipped cream)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp pumpkin spice
2 Tbsp molasses
4 Tbsp sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 standard pie crust
1. Pre-heat convection oven to 350ºF, and Nomiku water bath to 85ºC/185ºF.
2. Bake the pie crust for 20-30 mins until dry.
3. Bag pumpkin flesh with 1 Tbsp molasses, vanilla paste, 1 Tbsp sugar, and water. Vacuum seal.
4. Lower vacuum-sealed pumpkin bag into the 85ºC/185ºF water and sous vide for 1 hour and 30 mins. Note: you may weight the bag down with a metal rack (some vegetables like the pumpkin and fruit may be porous and will float the bag). Cover water bath with cling film to keep water from evaporating. When finished, separate pumpkin flesh from liquid. Reserve liquid for later if desired.
5. In a food processor, add 3 egg yolks, 1 cup heavy cream, 3 tbsp sugar, 1 pinch salt, 1 Tbsp molasses, pumpkin spice, and pumpkin flesh. Blend until smooth. If more silkiness is desired pass mixture through fine sieve before filling the crust.
6. Fill crust and bake at 350ºF for 1 hr. Let cool.
7. While pie is cooling, whip remaining cream and sugar together to stiff peaks. When pie has cooled garnish with a generous dollop of cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.
Get the PDF version here!